- Published: Saturday, 30 April 2016 07:22
Bridgestone's newest high performance motorcycle tyre, the S21, comes to Singapore
SINGAPORE — Bridgestone's newest hypersport motorcycle tyre is now on sale in Singapore at authorised dealers. The new tyre, which replaces the outgoing S20 Evo model goes up against competitors like the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II and Metzeler Racetec RR.
2016 seems to be a bumper year for bike tyres, with Pirelli soon to launch the Diablo Rosso III and Metzeler, a replacement for the Z8.
You can our review of the Bridgestone S21 tyres on the latest sports bikes at Yas Marina Circuit, but meanwhile here's a rundown of the stand-out features of the tyre:
(Image credit: Michael Tan)
- The S21 has a modified pattern that enhances tread rigidity and contact patch performance, resulting in improved stability, handling and cornering ability.
- Compared with the S20 Evo, the S21 front tyre has a smaller crown profile for better handling and precision.
- The rear tyre has a larger crown profile which together with the optimised belt construction and groove positioning, upgrades the rear feeling and increases cornering stability. Contact area slip reduction of 30 percent reduces wear, adding to mileage. Like the S20 EVO it has five compound layers in total with softer compounds arranged closer to the shoulders.
- Complementing the revised crown profiles, both front and rear have a new shoulder compound, which provides a larger micro contact patch for higher grip, more confidence and faster cornering in both wet and dry.
- Bridgestone tests found that fitting a Honda CBR1000RR with S21s (120/70ZR17; 190/55ZR17) lapped two seconds faster at the 3.737km Sugo Circuit than with the S20 Evo. Track aficionados will know that this is no mean feat, for such a short track. The lap time improvement is attributed to higher stability that allowed significantly higher entry speeds, the ability to hold a tighter line and faster acceleration at corner exits. Significant dry performance improvement, and according to Bridgestone, even with an additional 36 percent in mileage
- Bridgestone made special mention that many of the improvements brought to S21 were achieved using Bridgestone’s new Ultimate Eye (U-EYE) indoor testing facility. U-EYE simulates real-life riding conditions, visualising the contact behaviour of a tyre under different speeds and conditions, analyses contact patch pressure distribution, and helps find the optimal combination of compound, tread design, construction and profile. The S21 is in fact the first tyre to benefit from U-EYE.
Got all that? Now here's the Singapore pricing for the new Bridgestone S21:
|Size (Front)||Price (Singapore)|
|Size (Rear)||Price (Singapore)|