Video, reviews and all you need to know about the sexy new Lexus flagship, the LS limo
San Francisco, USA –
We’ve driven the all-new, fifth-generation Lexus LS luxury limousine and now that the global embargo is lifted, here’s what we think of the radically-designed and very, very different LS.
Watch our video walkthrough of the car on the grounds of George Lucas’ Skywalker Ranch.
The main model at launch is the LS 500 , powered by a 3.5-litre twin-turbo V6 engine that replaces the old LS 460 with its 4.6-litre V8.
Read our review to find out why it can give cars like the BMW 750 Li a run for its money, then hop on over to our test drive of the LS 500h hybrid version to see why it’s an about turn from the LS 600h L that preceded it.
Lastly, here’s the big surprise: The entry-level LS 350 model powered by a naturally-aspirated V6 engine. Check out the review to find out why it’s possibly the most interesting – not to mention least expensive – LS model bound for Singapore.
Scroll down for the important bits about the new LS in point form.
New V6 Turbocharged Engine
– The 3.5-litre V6 twin-turbo engine, codenamed V35A-FTS, is an all-new development.
– It features an electronic wastegate for precise, quick flow control.
– 415hp means it has 33hp more than the previous 4.6-litre V8.
– Fuel-injection is handled by the new D-4ST system with both direct and port injection.
– A new seamless valve seat system helps improve airflow and tumble ratio for better combustion.
– The LS uses the same GA-L platform as the LC coupe.
– It’s claimed to be the stiffest production car platform from Lexus to date.
– It utilises 30 percent more high tensile steel than before and many key structures are made of aluminium.
– The car’s bodyshell is made entirely of aluminium as well, except for the roof which is steel.
– The optional HUD is the largest of any kind for a car, at 24-inches wide.
– Active Noise Cancelling makes the cabin quieter using anti-phase sound.
-Lexus calls the four-zone climate control ‘Climate Concierge’ as it uses 13 different infrared sensors and automatically adjusts the air conditioning or seat heating/cooling to suit the selected temperature.
– VDIM, Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management, now detects and moderates the car’s behaviour on six axes for a wider range of operation.
– Active safety is upped a notch too, as a semi-autonomous mode including adaptive cruise control with lane tracing (automatic steering assist) will be available in future.
– The giant spindle grille has 5,000 individual surfaces and took six months of design work to achieve. The F Sport grille has more than 7,000.
– A special hand-pleated upholstery trim option is totally handmade and isn’t offered in all markets because all of it is made by a single family of craftsmen.
– The front aircon vents are fixed – the louvres move behind them – and they’re made of 1.5mm of magnesium for strength.